Bank statements: dates and reconciliation

Andrea Borgia borgia@students.cs.unibo.it
Sun, 28 Apr 2002 16:04:17 +0200 (CEST)

Hello.

When entering transactions involving my bank account, I chose to use the
"value date" (I don't know if this is the correct name, I mean the day the
interests are counted from) instead of the "operation date" (the day the
operation is entered in the bank's database).

I did this because most of my operations are payments and, as it happens,
the "value date" is the real one, so I don't have to muck around with a
transit account when recording atm withdrawals and the like. Then I enter
the operation date as a comment under the Num heading, so I don't forget it.

Problem is: bank statements are issued with reference to the operation date,
so it might happen that my gnucash' view of the account is not the same as
the statement's.

Does anyone else have the same problem? I know that using the other date
would make statements and gnucash views always consistent, but that way I'd
have to enter nearly all transactions via a transit account to keep
withdrawals dates consistent with reality.

Would it make sense for gnucash to have two dates for every transaction
involving bank-like accounts?

I'd appreciate to hear the opinions of both professional accountants and
gnucash developers on this issue.

TIA & KUTGW,
Andrea.

P.S.: oh, and GO FERRARI GO! 8-)