Nothing works on Red Hat

Jim Philips jcphil@mindspring.com
Sun, 1 Dec 2002 10:06:16 -0500

First of all, I should say that I have a CVS version of GnuCash working on my
system. So, I don't need any help in getting it all to work. But I think
Karl's problems should not be ignored over the long run. I don't normally run
a Gnome desktop, so I had to install about 60 megs of new software to make
GnuCash work. Even though I'm not a Gnome user, I had to install just about
every supporting library that Gnome requires. It's just stating the obvious
to say that Gnome isn't the only desktop out there. But GnuCash is the only
serious contender for an open source replacement for Quicken. So, KDE users
have to go to extraordinary lengths to make it work. Let me make  a crazy
proposal. It would be a wonderful thing if the GnuCash developers
collaborated with KDE developers to make a more unversal GnuCash. For Linux
to make gains on the desktop, it desparately needs to offer quality programs
in each category where users demand them. There needs to be a personal
financial manager for all Linux users. And I think you have built a great
program, but users who don't want to use Gnome aren't likely to ever go to
the trouble to install it. Linux does not equal RedHat and the Linux desktop
does not equal Gnome. I know these are thoughts for the long run. But
somebody who buys SuSE and runs KDE ought to be able to run GnuCash without
devoting an entire week to making it all work.  Can we all get along?