Euro symbol in Gnucash doesn't appear (was: gnucash)

Christian Stimming stimming@tuhh.de
Thu, 07 Feb 2002 10:53:13 +0100

Translation: Mrs. Richter apologizes for not being able to write in
English due to bad language knowledge. (gee, you should hear some of the
Americans trying to speak German... :-)

She tried the hint about setting LANG=de_DE.ISO-8859-15, which, as
predicted, changed the weird character into the EUR mnemoic, making
Gnucash usable. BUT unfortunately the rest of the translation turned
into English on her system! Also it bugs her that the environment
variable is set on a text console, hence Gnucash has to be started from
a console and cannot be started directly from the KDE Desktop.

I can't reproduce the first problem -- after 'export LANG' on my system
the messages stay in German and only the Euro symbol situation changed.
Mrs. Richter, do you get a console warning message like 'locale not
supported'? Developers, what other environment variables should she
check for?

The second problem, setting environment variables globally, can be
changed in SuSE's global configuration file /etc/rc.config. There is an
entry for LANG="..." which you can set to de_DE.ISO-8859-15. You can
either use a normal text editor or any of SuSE's configuraton programs
like yast. You should record the old setting somewhere, so that if this
turns your whole desktop into English, you better return to the old
setting for LANG.

Christian