stock spin off and the left over cash

Clay Lenhart clay@lenharts.net
Sat, 25 May 2002 10:35:22 -0400

I am having a hard time entering the following kind of transaction in
gnucash.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

In late 2000, ATT spun off Avaya.  The number of shares of ATT was the
same before and after the spin off.  I sudden got 10 whole shares of
Avaya (fictional # of shares) at roughly $16 a share, but I got $168 in
Avaya stock.  Since this is not a perfect multiple of shares, they sent
me a check for the remainder, which was $8 and gave me 10 shares.

I have two problems.
1) If I make a transaction from ATT to Avaya of 10 shares, it removes 10
shared of ATT, which is not correct.
2) I can not "sell" a factional share from Avaya and transfer it to the
stock account.  I would like to put 10.5 shares in Avaya, and sell .5 a
share, but this is not working in a split.  It thinks that the split is
a buy (which it is mostly), and it withdraws the $8 from the stock
account instead of depositing it.  --- That is it.  I made two
transactions and it works fine. Never mind this one.

I am also concerned that I cannot do an investment performance report in
gnucash.  I think the dividends look like purchases.  How would I do
this kind of report?  Is there a report like this?

I am using RH 7.2 and gnucash 1.6.2-1