Account Reconciling

Phil sublime78ska at comcast.net
Sun Aug 3 20:14:14 CDT 2003

On Sun, 3 Aug 2003 13:07:34 -0700, Russell Lear <RussLear314 at yahoo.com>
wrote:

> Oddly enough, I was just reconciling my current statement and the
> starting balance is not the same as last month's ending balance!  It was
> exactly $300 off.  I'm usually pretty compulsive about getting things to
> balance correctly, so I don't believe I would have done this.  But I'm
> not 100% certain.
>
> For that matter, I'm not even exactly sure how I would have done this if
> I wanted to - if I mistyped the ending balance last month, I shouldn't
> have been able to balance and if I balanced, the ending balance probably
> was correct (although in this world, two errors sometimes make a
> misleading right).
>
> Unfortunately, I read the thread after balancing (and making an ugly
> adjustment with a vow to watch carefully next month).
>
> I've been using GnuCash 1.8.1 for at least two months now.  I haven't
> seen this before, but it has been a short time.  (If it is important, I
> imported my data from MS Money using its extended QIF export format to
> get things started).

Russell,

My starting balance was short by 60.84. Rather than import data, I started
GnuCash from scratch (in May) and used GnuCash and Quicken in parallel for
a month and both systems were always in balance with one another. In June I
went live with GnuCash.

I haven't had any trouble reconciling other accounts (another checking, a
savings, and 3 credit card accounts.)  I'll get my next statement in about
10 days.  I'm very curious to see what the outcome will be!

I'm using Mandrake 9.1, btw.

--
Phil

and Mandrake Linux 9.1: www.mandrakesoft.com