State of the GnuCash project: A call for help

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Aug 11 21:30:24 CDT 2003

Laurent Duperval <lduperval at videotron.ca> writes:

> Carl B. Constantine wrote:
>
> >I look forward to such a report. One of the areas I'm very interested in
> >is Taxes and Invoicing (for business). Here in Canada, many provinces
> >have dual taxes (Alberta being the main exception). The federal
> >Government Services Tax (G.S.T.) and then provincial sales tax (P.S.T.).
> >The law states that these taxes must be shown separately on invoices,
> >

> And let's not forget that in Quebec, taxes are applied to the GST. So
> a 10$ item, in  fact costs 10$+7% => 10.70$ for the GST and then
> 10.70$+7.5% for the PST, for a total of 11.56$. Isn't that wonderful!

How do you get 11.56?  10.70*.075 == .8025, for a total of 11.50.

> I dropped a previous business accounting package because it couldn't
> deal with compounded taxes. I'm hoping I won't have that problem when
> I try to use GC for the same purposes (Real Soon Now).

I'll note that GnuCash doesn't do this itself, but you can.  The PST
taxrate is just (1+GST)*PST.  So lets take your example.  If GST = 7%
and PST = "7.5%" then you have a computed PST of 8.025%.  So for a $10
object you've got $.70 GST and $.80 PST, for total of 10 + .7 + .8 =
11.50, which matches what you get above.

So, GnuCash can do it, you just have to pre-compute the double-tax.