Roadmap

BenoitGrégoire bock at step.polymtl.ca
Thu Aug 14 15:48:15 CDT 2003

On Tuesday 12 August 2003 05:06, Brian Wildasinn wrote:
> Hi
> Just read your contributor article: GnuCash Roadmap at
> http://gnucash.org/en/state_of_the_gnucash_project.phtml
>
> I would like to help. Although I almost completed a minor in CS, my focus
> is a business view.
>
> From a casual overview of the gnucash website, it looks like you guys are
> drowning in a morass of code.  Why not rejigger the effort around
> end-users?
>
> Let your end-users maintain, enhance, and document the work.  Sort of like
> how "modules" developers write for the Linux kernel, or "Plugin" developers
> for the web browsers, or the Emacs community expands by trading lisp.el
> recepies. This is not to say GnuCash should be an Operating System
> masquerading as a ... ledger, so to speak, but that way you will have a
> fresh supply of participants.

That is the idea, but to succeed we need a well defined, stable and well
documented API to write to.  We are not there yet.

> There should be glossy end-user photographs of Point-of-Sale registers,
> Banking kiosks or websites, Industry accouting for Retail, Coops,  Tax
> Forms, etc. Maybe at least be one or two Customer spots highlighting an
> implementation.
>
> That way the maintenance burden is tiny, and you let the users evangelize
> the base.

Well, we could certainly use help and specific suggestions for the marketing
side of things.  I don't think it's the forte of any of the current
contributors.

Have a nice day,

--
Benoit Grégoire