Documentation web page is live!

Jon Lapham lapham at extracta.com.br
Mon Aug 18 11:49:55 CDT 2003

Robert Uhl wrote:
> Herman <Herman at AerospaceSoftware.com> writes:
>
>>Well, just as the Docbook author said: "Don't learn XML".  I want to
>>say: "Don't learn Docbook".
>>
>>OpenOffice.org version 1.1RC2, can output in Docbook format.  There is
>>not much need to learn a bunch of arcane tags. :-)
>

> Why not?  It's actually pretty fun.  And I rather doubt that OpenOffice
> produces anywhere near the quality of hand-written DocBook code.  I
> wouldn't care to wager on OpenOffice being able to write the whole
> variety of DocBook tags, either.

Yeah, what Robert said.

Really, for documentation writers, you only have to know to wrap your
paragraphs in <para>, your sections in <sect> and your chapters in
<chapter>.  Here is a real live working chapter template with 2 sections:

<chapter id=BLAH>
<title>BLAH</title>

<sect1 id=WHATEVER>
<title>WHATEVER</title>
<para>Hello world</para>
</sect1>

<sect1 id=WHATEVER2>
<title>WHATEVER2</title>
<para>Hello world, again!</para>
</sect1>

</chapter>

Wash, Rinse, Repeat.  This isn't rocket science.  The reality is also
that most of the time, you are adding paragraphs or editing pre-existing
paragraphs.  No need to even mess with <sect> or <chapter>.

I STONGLY suggest doc writers to learn at least this level of XML.  The
single most important thing is to get meaningful text into the xml
files.  Do not worry about how to make that super-cool enumerated list,
etc, etc.  We can prettify the code later, that part is simple.  But,
your 2 paragraph description of something is pure gold.

-Jon

--
  Jon Lapham  <lapham at extracta.com.br>          Rio de Janeiro, Brasil