Cash for Gnucash development?: Self-study course for CPE?

Andrew L. Gould algould at datawok.com
Fri Aug 29 17:19:11 CDT 2003

As a FreeBSD user, I'm looking at my various options for financial software.
As a CPA in Texas, I'm also looking at my options for earning Continuing
Professional Education (CPE) hours for my license renewal.  On average, I
need 40 hours per year.

I usually earn my hours via self-study courses, many of which are for computer
applications.  This year, I'm looking at paying over $100.00 to learn Quicken
and earn 24 hours of credit.  There's also a course for QuickBooks for the
same price.

If the Gnucash documentation were turned into a tutorial, it could be
registered with the CPA Boards of each state (start with Texas, please) for
CPE hours.  The Gnucash developers could sell the courses, maintain
administrative records to meet CPE course requirements and mail CPE
certificates.  This doesn't prevent Gnucash from allowing people to use the
tutorials for free; but it allows me to divert a necessary expense to Open
Source development in a completely legitimate/legal/ethical way.

If the right people for this idea aren't on this list, could someone forward
the idea for me?

Thanks,

Andrew Gould