Query on state of import QIF

David Highley dhighley at highley-recommended.com
Mon Dec 29 12:09:25 CST 2003

> Hi,
>
> Quoting David Highley <dhighley at highley-recommended.com>:
>
> > I'm just trying to confirm the current state for importing Quicken QIF
> > export files. It appears from searching the net and my attempts that the
> > import operation may not be complete.
>
> QIF import should work just fine, provided you don't have a broken QIF.
> Recent versions of Money and Quicken sometimes generate "broken" QIF files
> which the importer wont read properly without some manual intervention.
>
> > I install gnucash-1.8.8-0.9 on a RedHat 9 system and tried importing
> > from Quicken 2003. While investment accounts were set up none of the
> > stock or mutual funds nor transactions were imported. I did not spend
> > time checking on other transactions or accounts.
>
> If no transactions were imported then either there were no transactions in the
> QIF file, you didn't complete the import process, or the QIF file was broken.
I had all ready checked the QIF file and found transactions in the file.

> I suggest you look at the QIF file in question and make sure it's a "valid"
> QIF file.

What is the definition of valid?

> > I'm also interested in transferring Quickbooks data. So are my experiences
> > to be expected or does there appear to be a problem with my
> > installation?
>
> There is no import method for Quickbooks data at this time.
>
> Your experiences are not unique, but they are not common either.  Generally,
> as I said, it's a broken QIF file.  The real problem is that QIF is a de facto
> standard, not a real standard.  This means that every version of Quicken and
> Money create QIF files that are slightly different, and the GnuCash importer
> just has not kept up with all the new variants of brokenness that have been
> introduced into the format.

Probably with intentions of making it more difficult for customers to
switch to another product.

> Without a sample of what does not work, there isn't much else I can tell you.
>
> -derek

David Highley		      Phone: (206) 669-0081
Highley Recommended, Inc.	FAX: (253) 838-8509
2927 SW 339th Street	      Email: dhighley at highley-recommended.com
Federal Way, WA 98023-7732	WEB: http://www.highley-recommended.com