gnucash: a locked-in situation?

Wolfgang Balster Wolfgang.Balster at epost.de
Wed Feb 5 16:13:34 CST 2003

On Thursday, 30. January 2003 05:11, you wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-01-29 at 03:27, Wolfgang Balster wrote:
> > I have not found a way to move e.g. a savings account from one gnucash
> > file into another. I consider using gnucashtoquif
> > http://gnucashtoqif.sourceforge.net/ but I fear losing gnucash-specific
> > information. Is there a more direct way? Any help is greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Couldn't see this in the list. I re-send it. Sorry, if this causes any
> > inconvenience.
>
> I'm not sure how well it could work, but you could try copy/paste from
> one file to the other.  The files are in text format (XML).  I've not
> tried it yet myself.  You'd have to make sure the appropriate other
> transaction/accounts/etc. are there.  Try it with copies of your
> existing files so you don't corrupt anything. Please report results. :)

It didn't work out. I found the transactions. It seems that they refer to the
account not by name, but by a rather long internal code. So I copied the
accouts as well, but renamed them beforehand, so I would not get confuses
after the import. Next step: opening gnucash after the import. Everything
seemed to be all right. But from then on reopening the file failed. I suppose
that gnucash has an internal consistency check and that the method described
in some way violates consistency.