Budgeting?

The Doctor What list.gnucash at docwhat.gerf.org
Thu Feb 13 18:19:02 CST 2003

* Robert C. Ramsdell III (rcriii at ramsdells.net) [030211 08:30]:
> You want to make a distinction between the parent account, and the
> parent+child accounts.  To me such a distinction is meaningless, as I
> follow a simple rule that parent accounts never carry balances.  At most
> they are 'clearinghouse' accounts, in which credits _always_ have
> corresponding debits.
>
> Thus to me the 'balance' in a parent account always represents the sum of
> the balances in the child accounts.

This is generally true in my case as well, with maybe one or two
exceptions.  But the interface is optimized to the opposite; the
assumption that all accounts have balances.

Ideally, someone could do one or the other flexibly.  I liked the
MacOSX idea that someone mentioned.

Ciao!

--
"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."
	--Shakespeare, MacBeth, V:iv

The Doctor What: Not that 'who' guy              http://docwhat.gerf.org/
docwhat at gerf.org                                                   KF6VNC