Any distros have GNUcash 1.8.x yet?

David dcorking at yahoo.fr
Sun Feb 16 18:27:05 CST 2003

On Mon, 17 Feb 2003, Conrad Canterford wrote:

> On Mon, 2003-02-17 at 09:11, David wrote:
> > BTW I have been using this tool for personal finances since xacc days.
> > I want to upgrade from 1.6.x to 1.8.x as I understand it is the first
> > stable release of the postgresql backend which I want to try.
>
> I think that may be overstating it a little bit. I don't think the 1.8
> postgresql backend is considered "stable" just yet. While it does
> (apparently) work, its missing some functionality that exists in the 1.8
> code (like the scheduled transactions and the business invoices stuff).

I know about the missing functionality from the google/release notes, and
since that is all new 1.8 stuff it is not a big deal for me.

However I (perhaps incorrectly) assumed that since the backend was
'beta' in 1.6 it is stable in 1.8 (albeit missing stuff.)

I did notice that the multi-currency infrastructure changed and it
would be important to me that postgresql handles it correctly ater I
migrate my accounts -- any ideas?

> It is being actively worked on, however, and I know that extra people
> testing and using it would be appreciated.

I think I will give it a go if when SuSE 8.2 comes out.

I am interested in multiple non-concurrent users on a single
workstation, and I think the xml backend does not set the permissions
on the data and lock files in a way that allows another user to easily
share the .xac file.  (I am far from expert on gnu/unix permissions so
maybe there is something easy I can do without migrating to postgresql.)

However long term there are many advantages to having a
production-quality postgresql backend.