Any distros have GNUcash 1.8.x yet?

Matthew Vanecek mevanecek at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 22 09:32:55 CST 2003

On Sun, 2003-02-16 at 17:27, David wrote:

> However I (perhaps incorrectly) assumed that since the backend was
> 'beta' in 1.6 it is stable in 1.8 (albeit missing stuff.)

Yeah, it's pretty stable, as far as I can tell.  It's going to change
quite radically, however--I may end up just making a separate backend.
Haven't decided yet.

> I did notice that the multi-currency infrastructure changed and it
> would be important to me that postgresql handles it correctly ater I
> migrate my accounts -- any ideas?

The multi-currency infrastructure should be handled by the engine and
not the backend, to the best of my knowledge.
Remember to save you data to a non-existent database when first saving
it--Gnucash creates the database, and there are issues trying to save to
an existing database on the first save.
Also, if you use Postgresql 7.3.x, you'll have to wait for Gnucash
1.8.2--there's a deprecated datetime function used in earlier versions
that is not available in PG 7.3.x.  We've fixed it, and the fix should
be in 1.8.2.  Or you can get the CVS version...

> I am interested in multiple non-concurrent users on a single
> workstation, and I think the xml backend does not set the permissions
> on the data and lock files in a way that allows another user to easily
> share the .xac file.  (I am far from expert on gnu/unix permissions so
> maybe there is something easy I can do without migrating to postgresql.)

chmod g+rw file.xac should work, if all the users are in the same group.

> However long term there are many advantages to having a
> production-quality postgresql backend.

Most definitely!

--
Matthew Vanecek