Any distros have GNUcash 1.8.x yet?

David dcorking at yahoo.fr
Sat Feb 22 16:10:05 CST 2003

On Sat, 22 Feb 2003, Matthew Vanecek wrote:

> On Sun, 2003-02-16 at 17:27, David wrote:
>
> > However I (perhaps incorrectly) assumed that since the backend was
> > 'beta' in 1.6 it is stable in 1.8 (albeit missing stuff.)
> >

> Yeah, it's pretty stable, as far as I can tell.  It's going to change
> quite radically, however--I may end up just making a separate backend.
> Haven't decided yet.

Are the radical changes needed for scheduled transactions and small
business, or something else?

> The multi-currency infrastructure should be handled by the engine and
> not the backend, to the best of my knowledge.

good to know

> Remember to save you data to a non-existent database when first saving
> it--Gnucash creates the database, and there are issues trying to save to
> an existing database on the first save.

thanks - I would have run creatdb from the command line :-(

> Also, if you use Postgresql 7.3.x, you'll have to wait for Gnucash
> 1.8.2--there's a deprecated datetime function used in earlier versions
> that is not available in PG 7.3.x.  We've fixed it, and the fix should
> be in 1.8.2.  Or you can get the CVS version...
>
> > I am interested in multiple non-concurrent users on a single
> > workstation, and I think the xml backend does not set the permissions
> > on the data and lock files in a way that allows another user to easily
> > share the .xac file.  (I am far from expert on gnu/unix permissions so
> > maybe there is something easy I can do without migrating to postgresql.)
> >

> chmod g+rw file.xac should work, if all the users are in the same group.

I will try that - it will save recompiling for postgresql support for
now.  I read of difficulties with this workaround on this mailing list.
AFAIR the reported problem was only stale lock files -- which can be
caused by a windowmanager killing windows on exit without waiting for
an app to terminate (SIGTERM) (used to happen a lot to me on a slow
machine with fvwm95 - whenever I forgot to close the app before
exiting the windowmanager.  Now I have lots of RAM and stale locks
should only happen when X or kernel crashes with buggy 3D accelerated
games.)  umask sets the permissions on the lock files I expect.

David