Trying to get 1.6.6.7/8 going on RH8.0

Paul Pantages pdpantages@sbcglobal.net
01 Jan 2003 22:30:43 -0600

Hi Gnucash-users,

Recenty, I tried to upgrade from RH7.2 to RH8.0.

Things went OK, except gnucash now crashes with my old favourite error:

"I can't find the default fonts needed by Guppi.
In 99% of all cases, this means that there is a problem with
your installed version of gnome-print."

I was hoping that the upgrade would get me gnucash 1.6.6.7 without a
hitch.

I have tried uninstalling gnucash, gnome-print et.al, and re-installing
the whole thing from ximian (using red-carpet). No change in behaviour.

So, this time, I thought I might try and build gnucash from source, and
got the 1.6.6.8 tarfile. Problems with configure...claims incorrectly no
db 1.95 support. This looks to be because RH8.0 does not have db-3.

So, I changed "db-3" to "db-4.0" (in configure) to get around the "no
1.85 db support" error. Passed the db185 test.

No other changes to configure, but it now fails, telling me that there
is no libgal.

However, I can see from the log that
it is really due to the test (allegedly for gal) specifying -ldb1
instead of -ldb4.0.

I tried just hacking the configure file to switch all instances of db1
to "db". I still get the same error. I don't know where the -ldb1 comes
from... I tried with/without --disable-prefer-db1.
If I cut&paste the command into the shell (the test compile for libgal)
& switch the -ldb1 to -ldb I don't get the ld error, so I know the test
will pass if I can find the &*^% thing.

I also tried version 1.7.6-1 (RH8) from sourceforge. The rpm installed
fairly easily, (needed new g-wrap only)  but I still get the
gnome print error. I also tried the source for 1.7.6-1 & see the same
problem with db-3/db1 in the configure that I saw in 1.6.6-8.

So, my questions:

Has anyone built a gnucash from source in RH8.0 & run into this prob
with libdb?

Or alternatively, has anyone encountered the gnome-print problem (with
the std. or sourceforge gnucash for RH8.0) and was able to fix it up
easily?

Thank you kindly  PdP

--
Paul Pantages <pdpantages@sbcglobal.net>