Problem with re-invested dividend in Mutual Fund acct.

Graeme Nichols gnichols at tpg.com.au
Fri Jan 31 15:04:58 CST 2003

Hello Folks,

First, a thank you to the developers of GnuCash. It is one very good
application.

I have managed to work out how to use GnuCash for all my financial
affairs and I find it to be much superior to Quicken Personal 2000 SE. I
really like the double entry nature of GnuCash. Being a Quicken user I
was not familiar with double entry accounting but the tutorial in
GnuCash Docs and the simple explanation of double entry principles has
enabled me to overcome a lifetime of mystification of the apparent black
art.

But... there is still one hurdle to leap.

I am having trouble working out how to deal with a mutual fund account I
have where the dividend is reinvested back into units (and fractions of
units). Please see my earlier post.

A reply to another user having a similar problem said to enter the
dividend into the income account associated with the mutual account and
transfer it to the mutual account. I have been spectacularly
unsuccessful in that endeavour! BUT.... that scenario does work if I
make it a stock account instead of a mutual fund account.

SO, I ask again.. How does one handle the dividend of a mutual fund that
is re-invested in units? and please, like you are explaining it to a
remedial.

TIA,
--

Kind regards,

Graeme.

"Your arguments are very well and are theoretically sound, but if ever
payment of members comes into force, it will result in Parliament being
flooded with men of mediocre ability and may eventually open the doors
to a regime of terrorism and corruption."

Sir Henry Parkes in reply to Jacob Garrard, member for Balmain, on the
subject of payment to members of Parliament. 1880.