Searching for list topics via google site:gnucash.org ...

Jim Stead jstead1 at twcny.rr.com
Sun Jul 6 17:12:01 CDT 2003

On Sunday 06 July 2003 02:25 pm, Bill Suit wrote:
> does not seem to yield much current info, IMHO. For example, I'm
> looking for topics about how to set up retirement investment plans
> in gnucash. Surely someone must have brought up this topic in the
> last year or so.But when I search for 'investment' '401k' or
> 'pension plans' as examples, I don't see this list referenced.
> Occasionally, I see the 'gnucash-devel' list referenced, but I
> don't remember seeing this list. Also, much of it seems to be
> through 2001 or so or just lists stuff mentioned in the
> documentation.
>
> Is it possible that this topic just hasn't arisen yet? Tips on
> searching here appreciated. TIA, Bill

I set up my 401k plan in gnucash.  My company uses a broker, I'll call
it TRP.  I have TRP account in assets.  The amount from my paycheck
gets transferred out of non taxable income into a contributions
account in the TRP account.  I have all the different commodity
accounts set up in the TRP account.

When my statement comes, I "buy" the commodities with the cash in the
TRP account.  Dividends are transfrerred from a Dividend Income
Account into the contributions account, since I re-invest all the
dividends.  The employer match I transfer out of an employer match
income account into the TRP account.

With the statements I get, the "price" of the commodity is rounded.
The things I enter are the total number of shares, and the total
cost.  The cost per share is calculated by gnucash.  This keeps
things right.

Other things that are important, for most 401k type programs is to set
the commodity fraction traded to 1/10000.
--

Jim