Jobs and Actions

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Jul 9 18:56:11 CDT 2003

Hi,

All answers assume you're using 1.8.4...  If you're not using 1.8.4
then some of these features may not work properly...

Mike Rothon <miker at mazpro.co.uk> writes:

> I am just starting a small business, and being a linux fan hope to be
> able to use GnuCash.
>
> I have run into a few areas that I don't believe are covered by the
> documentation that I would appreciate some help with:
>
> 1. It is possible to set-up customer jobs and associate those with
> bills from vendors (Default Chargeback Project). However I can't find
> any way of automatically charging these costs in an invoice.

When you post the bill, any items marked "Billable" will appear in
your open invoices.  Mark them as part of the invoice and they will
be included.

> 2. On the invoice line it is possible to select an "action" from one
> of material, hours or projects. Is it possible to extend this to
> include days etc.?

Well, the list is hard-coded at the moment, but it could be extended.
For now you should be able to just type in whatever string you want.
It shouldn't limit what you type.

> 3. Have any UK users got any tips on producing a VAT return and the
> configuration of the Tax Tables to achieve this?

Sorry, I can't help you here, I'm in the US.

> Finally on a general note one thing that I really miss from Sage
> Instant Accounting is the ability to setup some standard items to
> charge on the invoice line (i.e. Green Widget = £23.40). I'm not
> looking for a full stock system, but the ability to have a standard
> cost against an item saves an awful lot of typing!!

Yea, but that's a slippery slope.  Once you've got the database of
basic prices you've done half the work to implement an inventory
system.  Similarly on the wish list are "default billing rates",
auto-completion, and "duplicate an invoice".