Examples for entering transactions

Nigel Titley nigel at titley.com
Mon Jun 30 13:15:11 CDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-06-30 at 08:30, Ralph van Etten wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've been using gnucash for a while now and I have a few questions. I
> already searched the list archives but I couldn't find it in there.
>
> 1. Is there a website or FAQ on how to enter certain transactions ?
> Sometimes, especially in the beginning, I spend a lot of time on finding
> the best way to enter a transaction.
>
> 2. I've been using gnucash for tracking a list of expencive things which I
> own, like a TV or a PC and it works well. But now I also want to use
> gnucash to track the things I buy together with my girlfriend.
> For instance: We go to the stores and buy a TV. The TV is charged on my
> bankaccount and my girlfriend pays me back half of it later.
> How can I enter this in gnucash so that I can have a list of all the
> things we've bought together and at the same time see how much money my
> girlfriend owes me ?
> I've tried it with split transactions and lots of other things but I just
> can't get it right. Does anyone uses gnucash in this way ?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Ralph van Etten

On a purely personal note (and insert huge :-) here), trying to keep
track of what your girlfriend owes you is a recipe for disaster. Just
book it all to Expenses:Girlfriend:RunningCosts.

Some of the biggest arguments I've had with the ex-girlfriend (now my
wife.... nearly 25 years now) are over the individual spending patterns
revealed by gnucash.

Nigel

--
This mess is so big and so deep and so tall, we cannot pick it up,
there is no way at all." The Cat in the Hat.