weighted averages and balance sheet in multiple currencies

Roger Keays r.keays at ninthave.net
Fri Apr 16 10:32:42 EDT 2004

Hi All,

First, thanks for the great software. I've been using GNUcash for over a year
and love it!

My favourite feature of gnucash is how well it handles multiple currencies,
except I've come across a problem when creating balance sheets with multiple
currencies.

There is an example of my problem at http://www.ninthave.net/~roger/tmp/account
: it is caused by GnuCash calculating the profit as:

    usd_weighted_average(all accounts) * (usd_income - usd_expense)

as opposed to

    usd_weighted_average(income accounts) * usd_income_ -
    usd_weighted_average(expense accounts) * usd_expense

I don't think the first calculation is incorrect for calculating the profit of a
foreign currency, but I'm not sure if it is useful for a balance sheet, where
equity & liabity should match assets regardless of the display currency.

Some solutions would be:

   * provide another Price Source in the options called 'Per Entry' which means
that each currency conversion is done using the exchange rate specified in that
transaction.

   * it would be possible to balance the balance sheet by closing all the
foreign accounts like you would for an accounting period. To work though, each
foreign account would have to be closed using the weighted average of
transactions for that account (or that type of account if you're closing all
accounts of that type). Calculating this by hand would be a bit difficult so
perhaps a wizard could help us calculate the exchange rate when closing accounts?

Thoughts anyone?

Roger

ninth ave                                  p: +61 7 3870 8494
                                            f: +61 7 3870 8491
       _       _       _                    m: +61 405 048 371
    __(@)<  __(@)>  __(@),          w: http://www.ninthave.net
    \___)   \___)   \___)              e: r.keays at ninthave.net