Easiest Linux distro to upgrade GC with?

Robert Uhl ruhl at 4dv.net
Sat Dec 4 19:34:56 EST 2004

Neil Williams <linux at codehelp.co.uk> writes:

> > I'm still using version 1.8.8 and I'm having problems upgrading
> > because I'm on RH9.  What's the best Linux disttribution to use for
> > ease of upgrade sake?
>
> Debian. every time.
>
> Nothing beats apt for upgrading packages.

True enough, but Fedora Core 1 and up (the free version of Red Hat)
support apt-get.  Make sure to get the dag packages and life is good.

> Once installed, maintenance is zero, upgrades can be easily automated
> and it does just carry on running.  The only time I ever stop these
> Debian boxes at home is when I want to upgrade the kernel.

Ditto for Fedora--and it's rather more up-to-date.  Debian stable is an
excellent host platform (since it is rock-hard and unchanging), but I'm
not very keen on it for desktop work.  Debian unstable is better, but
then it's (as the name implies) unstable, rather more so in my
experience than Fedora or Red Hat.  Also, the installer is a lot more of
a hassle--not a big deal for me or someone doing a host install, but not
great for a newbie.

--
Robert Uhl <ruhl at 4dv.net>
It's a matter of perspective.  To me a blue screen of death is good.