Liability question

Ted M. mooreted at charter.net
Sat Feb 7 10:00:22 CST 2004

I set up a simple checking account in Gnucash however I added a "Money
Owed" liability account. What I would like to do is be able to keep
track of bills I haven't paid yet as well as expenses and have all my
accounts update themselves when I enter a trasaction in the check register.

For instance: I owe PG&E $200.00 so I entered that information into the
"Money Owed" account. I also have a "PG&E" account under Expenses. When
I enter a payment of $200.00 into the check register as a withdrawl and
a transfer to "Expenses:PG&E" I would like "Expenses" to show $200.00
and "Money Owed" to now show $0.00.

As it is now I have to enter the information in the check register and
then enter the information into "Money Owed." Not really a big hassle,
but it would be nice to do this automagically, and I'm sure Gnucash can
do it; I just haven't figured it out yet. I am totally new to
double-entry accounting.

Ted.