How to use the Wiki????

Linas Vepstas linas at linas.org
Mon Jul 5 12:52:26 EDT 2004

Hi,

I was thinking to myself "to make gnucash more accessible, users
should be encouaraged to actively work on the wiki, to answer the
commonly occuring qeustions (e.g. macosx, VAT, etc.)  So I went
to the wiki, and saw that it was a jumble, and wanted to clean it up.

For example, development questions like "why is it written in C"
are high up in the FAQ,  when questions like, "how do I do VAT"
or "how do I create invoices" should clearly be a lot higher.
The FAQ needs to be busted up into pieces.  Sections on business
features, sections on the code base, sections on how-to-install,
and especially sections on actual accounting tasks.

So anyway ... I click 'edit' and it asks me for a username ... and
then says "Invalid password or userid." ... and there is not the
slightest hint on how to recover from that.   Can it email me my
password? no .. any random userid gives the same error.

Ahem, exactly what good is a wiki if you can't edit it?
Grrrr..

I was inspired to whack on the Wiki by Tim O'Rielly, who wrote
the below.  We need to figure out how to get teh Amazon effect,
and I saw the wiki as maybe one way to get there.

--linas