Reimbursible Mileage Expense

David Reiser dbreiser at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 2 01:21:16 EDT 2004

You could conceivably pick any expense account associated with your
automobile. After all, you are paying for the gas and maintenance --
for which the employer is reimbursing you. The fact that there isn't a
specific receipt for the mileage did cause me confusion for quite a
while. The incremental cost of my vehicle for business use isn't as
high as the usual mileage reimbursement, but the mileage reimbursement
really does offset the cost of owning and operating the vehicle.

I haven't tried this yet, but transferring money from the Expense:Auto
account to the Asset:Reimbursable account seems like the best way to
describe an individual's situation resulting from a mileage
reimbursement. Then, when they actually pay it, I can transfer from the
Asset:Reimbursable to whichever asset account I make the deposit.

Dave