New user attempting installation-dependencies

Matej Cepl cepl at surfbest.net
Tue Nov 30 12:11:55 EST 2004

Gabriel M. Beddingfield wrote:
> GnuCash is an excellent application -- but fonts are its dark side.  The
> short answer is:  search the archives.  Font questions are asked all the
> time on this list.  Two search engines for this user list are:

This looks relevant, but it doesn't give much hope:

 http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnome.apps.gnucash.user/11118

I am using KDE, so my experience with GNOME fonts is rather limited, but one
piece of wisdom which seems to be relevant for me is the first thing to do
is to download and install Microsoft TrueType Web core fonts (msttcorefonts
package in Debian). For making GNUCash to use them I have installed the
attached ~/.gtkrc file (but be aware, that it is used for the Czech
language and if you have something else in the current ~/.gtkrc file you
would screw up your settings; the original which it is based on is
in /etc/gtk/gtkrc.cs).

<rant>
BTW, after searching through this mess about the fonts, I am really glad
that I am KDE. Somebody mentioned in the message from the June of this
years, that "UTF-8 is rather new technology". Guys, Unicode was present at
least in 1994 when I begun to work with Internet and KDE is 100% Unicode at
least from version 2.0, which is from 2000!
</rant>

Best,

 Matej

--
Matej Cepl, http://www.ceplovi.cz/matej

You discover truth every time you use it.
      -- reddy at lion.austin.ibm.com