Giving up on Gnucash

James A. de Haseth jdehaseth at snappydsl.net
Fri Apr 22 09:45:22 EDT 2005

This is an interesting discussion, but most of all I want to thank Derek
Atkins and the other contributors to GnuCash for a great effort and fine
product.

I came to GC by a different route - I was an OS/2 user and purchased
InCharge for accounting software.  I've been running *NIX systems for
about 10 years and it was a natural to go to Linux after the demise of
OS/2.  Now InCharge is dead and I had about 11 years of data in that
system.  (Yes, InCharge has a Windows port, but no support has been
available for >2 years now.  The author, Bruce Landeck, has fully
retired from development and will fix only critical bugs to the existing
software.) GunCash accepted all my data perfectly and I couldn't be
happier.

I am also using GnuCash for accounting on grants and for the accounts of
a professional society.

My wife would like to see a better UI, and I'm sure that'll come in due
time.  The interface might not be up to the latest M$ or Macintosh bells
and whistles, but it does function correctly.

I am sorry to hear some people are leaving GnuCash.  I suspect it might
be frustration with the UI and other creature comforts, but as others
have pointed out, the problem is not open source software.  There are
plenty of problems with commercial software.  I am trying to finish a
book and the editor insists that it be delivered in M$ Word.  I have
upgraded Word to the latest version and it's still crap.  It may be
functional for simple tasks but it isn't up to a highly technical
manuscript.  I should be using LaTex, but we can't use that in the M$
world!  The point is that open source can be superb, and commercial can
be crap, but neither is 100% in one category or the other.

Once again, thanks to Derek and all the other contributors for a great
alternative to commercial accounting software.

Jim