Giving up on Gnucash

David J Patrick davidjpatrick at sympatico.ca
Fri Apr 22 13:59:44 EDT 2005

Rod Engelsman wrote:

> And I know I sounded like an ungrateful ***hole, that wasn't really my
> intent. I really *do* appreciate all the hard, unpaid, labor that's
> gone into this program. It's just not what I was looking for.

ahh, that's better !

> And I'm dead serious about the need for someone to take this and fork
> it into a product that's more friendly for home users migrating from
> Quicken, Money, etc.

now you're talkin crazy talk ! what we need is not a fork ! It's not as
though the gC team doesn't WANT to add those features, they just don't
have the resources ! dividing the handful of dedicated volunteers is NOT
the answer.

> The UI paradigm is squarely aimed at accountants and that's fine,

disagree

> although the strict double-entry, debit & credit, scheme is little
> more than an unneccessary anachronism.

strongly disagree

> Banks don't even use it any more, not in that way at least.

ya think the financial institutions use single entry ?

>   My bank statement has a single column with checks shown as negative
> amounts and deposits as positive amounts. The debit/credit, left
> column/right column business is simply a computational device intended
> to minimize mistakes by clerks.

and everyone else, and that's why it's important.

> My computer isn't prone to math mistakes so it isn't needed.

by brain IS prone to math mistakes, so that's why double entry is better.
I'm sure we could thrash back and forth all day single vs. double, but
there are very good reasons why gnuCash uses double entry.

It's definitely not a one-size-fits-all world, and in that light, I
motion for "best practices"
djp