Giving up on Gnucash

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Fri Apr 22 15:05:35 EDT 2005

On Friday 22 Apr 2005 19:48, Richard Gilligan wrote:
> >  The UI paradigm is squarely aimed at accountants and that's fine,
> > although the strict double-entry, debit & credit, scheme is little
> > more than an unneccessary anachronism. Banks don't even use it any
> > more, not in that way at least.  My bank statement has a single column
> > with checks shown as negative amounts and deposits as positive
> > amounts. The debit/credit, left column/right column business is simply
> > a computational device intended to minimize mistakes by clerks. My
> > computer isn't prone to math mistakes so it isn't needed.
>
>  From reading forward in the thread it is obvious that you are proposing
> a UI change (rather than chucking the rules of accounting).  At first
> glance, it seems like an interesting idea to me and I have been using
> GC for 4 years now.  Using a single column of signed numbers in the
> register could have a lot of benefits. I imagine it would make the
> register easier to read, use less screen width for the same information
> displayed, and eliminate some labels that create visual clutter and
> need to be translated.  In addition it would make it easier for people
> to represent GC transactions as text in emails to the list.

David remarked that his brain is prone to mistakes, and most of us would
sympathise there, but also my fingers do a pretty good job at getting things
wrong sometimes.  A frequent one is to get an '=' when I want an '-'.
Imagine the scope for problems there!  At least with the double entry system
it is clear when things don't balance.

Anne
Have you visited http://twiki.mdklinuxfaq.org yet?  Mandrake at all levels