Giving up on Gnucash

Rod Engelsman rodengelsman at ruraltel.net
Fri Apr 22 18:31:13 EDT 2005

Adrian Simmons wrote:
> Rod Engelsman wrote:
>
>> Frankly, I grow weary of the open-source attitude that you can't
>> complain or criticize.
>
> You can complain...but look what happens :)
> It's just not useful to complain per se, rather what's needed is
> constructive criticism - and you did some of that in your later posts.
>
> But I have to say I'm with Anne (and others) on the two columns vs one
> column with +ve and -ve numbers. Before changing to Gnucash (which took
> three attempts and a mental paradigm shift) I used my own little
> database I wrote in ClarisWorks, and did just as you're suggesting - and
> I'd have terrible problems because every once in a while I'd neglect
> that little minus sign. Double entry helps immensely when things go
> wrong (I enter all my transactions by hand). Also my bank uses two
> columns in bank statements not one.
>
> So as much as the suggestion is interesting I really don't see how it
> improves or makes things easier, conversely I can see it would make both
> data entry and tracking errors harder.
>
> -1 on single columns.

I don't want a single column. I'm not sure how anyone got that
impression. I want the account register to show checks on the left and
deposits on the right, like every other personal finance program and
every paper check register I've ever seen or worked with.

I've had bank statements with both single and double columns. I prefer
double columns because it's easier to distinguish checks from deposits,
just like you said.

Flipping them around like that makes my tired old brain hurt.

I'd be perfectly happy with a "View" setting that accomplished this.

Rod