script to automatically assign account

Joshua Daniel Franklin joshuadfranklin at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 8 16:53:57 EST 2005

--- David Reiser wrote:

> On Dec 7, 2005, at 6:25 PM, Joshua Daniel Franklin wrote:
> > script GnuCash so that, for example, transactions
> > matching SAFEWAY are automatically put into
> > Expenses:Groceries?
>
> I don't know about scripting, but once you've done one import where
> you set the account to Expenses:Groceries, any subsequent import will
> use that account as a default. You might have to define it once for
> each Safeway you use, since I think they get store numbers included
> in the OFX description field.

OK, I guess I'll have to live with that. I was hoping for something
more customizable since some (stupid) merchants put unique things in
descriptions, for example my bank describes ATM withdrawls as
"ATM/123 Main Banch    1201 O" where 1201 is the month/day; no idea
about the O at the end. Maybe I'll try to run the data through sed
first and strip that out before importing.