Unbalanced balance sheet

Mark Eackloff meackloff at cox.net
Fri Feb 4 01:55:13 EST 2005

Derek Atkins wrote:
> Mark Eackloff <meackloff at cox.net> writes:
>

>>This happened to me recently.  I determined that it was caused by an
>>unbalanced entry.  Yes, that's right.  Apparently it is possible to
>>enter only one side of a transaction.  I'm not sure if that's a
>>"feature" or a bug.
>

> The only way I know of to enter unbalanced transactions is via the OFX
> Import process.  I (still) consider that a bug, but it has not (yet)
> been fixed.  :(
>
> However, that's not the only way to cause a balance-sheet imbalance.
> Another way is not accounting for capital gains/losses when you sell a
> commodity other than your report-currency.  Gnucash 1.8 does not
> properly account for the change-in-value of commodities, which means
> your balance sheet will be out of balance.
>
> -derek

Gnucash 1.8 seemed to have unbalanced my balance sheet today by adding a
gain from the sale of stock to the remaining unsold shares.  This
occurred when I used the recording method indicated in the tutorial
under "Selling Stock."  Just to see what would happen, I reversed the
lines that recorded the gain.  In other words. I put the $122 gain in
the sell column, and the $122 increase in the stock's value in the buy
column.  I then reloaded the Balance Sheet report but nothing changed.
Truly bewildered, I recovered by deleting the entry, then recording the
sale as though I got what I paid for it (same price per share).  Then I
made another entry to adjust the money received and record the gain.  My
Balance sheet now balances, but the entry in the stock register still
erroneously shows that I sold the stock for what I paid.  Is this a
known bug?  I couldn't find it in bugzilla.