transaction transfer

Andrew Gelvin Burley Grimes aggrimes at ncsu.edu
Fri Feb 4 11:57:38 EST 2005

On Feb 4, 2005, at 11:18 AM, Bill Wohler wrote:

> Andrew Gelvin Burley Grimes <aggrimes at ncsu.edu> writes:
>
>> I have a slew of transactions in one Gnucash file that I would like to
>> transfer into a different Gnucash file -- the files are set up the
>> same, with the same account hierarchy.  I've done a bit of looking
>> around, at it seems that this might be impossible -- am I wrong?
>
> Did you find or write up anything to do this? I'd like to do the same
> thing. Specifically, I'd like to copy all transactions in one account
> in
> the first file into an account of the same name in the second file.
>
> It seems it would be a fairly straightforward process, but I haven't
> had
> the time to whip up the perl.

Unfortunately, no -- I ended up (due to a lack of scripting expertise)
entering the transactions in to file B, using a general ledger printout
from file A (shudder...).  It was a long car ride.

For the sake of documentation:
The reason I wanted to do this in the first place stemmed from my
ignorance of the "check and repair" feature -- I had an unbalanced
balance sheet, and as a (premature) last resort, I simply exported my
account hierarchy to a new file, set my opening bank account balances,
and started over.  A month later I discovered the check and repair
feature (Actions -> Check & Repair), found and repaired my errant
transactions in the original file, and then had a months worth of
back-entry to do...

Suppose I should have done a little bit more digging around in the
documentation.

I have noticed an "Unbalanced balance sheet" thread going on here
lately -- but I didn't mention anything because I think it's a
different issue (is it?)

By the way, the passionate debate about the usefulness of the
double-entry method has been entertaining.  My two cents?  Gnucash is
great because it uses double-entry accounting, but who cares about
that?  The most important thing is that it's non-corporate, and it
works!

Drew

Drew Grimes
North Carolina State University