Canadian Stocks in USD (eventually)

David Hampton hampton at employees.org
Fri Jan 7 20:35:38 EST 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-07 at 13:20 -0800, Oliver D. Iberien wrote:

> My understanding is that the Toronto exchange is entered as TSE. One of the
> posts I read suggested adding .TO to the ends of the symbols, but this has
> not yet done anything.

Gnucash uses Finance::Quote to get stock prices.  If you want F::Q to
pull stock prices from the Toronto exchange, ask for quotes from Yahoo
and use a stock symbol that ends in '.TO'.  Yahoo uses the symbol suffix
to determine which particular stock exchange to pull prices from, and
returns the quotes in the local currency of the exchange.  I.E. It just
returns numbers.  F::Q knows the suffix to exchange mapping and tacks on
the right currency identifier (i.e. CAD) before passing the data back to
gnucash.

David