getting started with custom reports

Mark M. Ito marki at jlab.org
Sun Jul 10 19:50:29 EDT 2005

I am trying to understand how to write a custom report. I found a
passage in the help document quoted below, but I could find neither
report-html.txt nor gnc.html in the "src" directory tree. I am looking
at the contents of gnucash-1.8.11.tar.gz.

Am I missing something? Should I go to an older distribution to look
for these files? Is there more current documentation? I don't know any
lisp, but was willing to ape an existing example. Is that too hard a
row to hoe? I as also wondering about the "build" procedure after
getting a correct .scm file. How do I get my report incorporated, from
technical point of view?

If pressed I suppose I could explain what it is I would like to
report. ;-)

  ==quote begins==

The reporting interface is documented in the source code file
src/report/report-system/doc/report-html.txt. The file
src/scm/report/hello-world.scm in the GnuCash source distribution
provides a good example of how reports are developed.

It is also necessary to access data from the engine to get information
for your report. This is performed by a set of Scheme wrapper
functions that are documented in the file src/g-wrap/gnc.html. Examine
some of the other reports in src/scm/report for an indication of how
they are used.

  ==quote ends==