Disabling 2x entry

Dale Alspach alspach at math.okstate.edu
Sun Jul 24 10:52:51 EDT 2005

I do not think that it is possible to disable double entry because it is
fundamental to the program. However it is possible to use the automated
completion functionality to remove most of the overhead. Instead of having
a large number of accounts create only the checkbook and credit card
accounts that you want to track. Then create a few top level accounts. I
would suggest that uyou create an expenses account at least. If you want to
at least keep some sense of basic accounting then create an asset account,
a liability account and an equity account. (You may have some of these from
whatever account setup you used.) If you have only these few accounts,
anytime you need to enter an account, e.g. in the fourth column of a
checkbook register, typing the first letter of the account name
will cause gnucash to suggest the account. After you have used gnucash for
a while any transaction which has the same description as a previous
transaction will be
automatically suggested as you begin typing the description.

I and some others have explained how this is done  in earlier posts.

On gmane search for my email address and checkbook and you will find some
posts from January 2003.

(http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnome.apps.gnucash.user/5051/match=checkbook)

Dale Alspach