Fractions and Commodities and Accounts, Oh My!

David Brock david at tubits.com
Thu Mar 3 12:46:41 EST 2005

Ugh.  I'm still trying to figure out the relationship between commodity
and account (I know that one trades in the other).

Let's say I have a commodity called FundABC that trades in thousandths.
So, I have specified "1/1000" as the "fraction traded":

Commodity- FundABC
fraction traded: 1/1000

Then, I have, in my Brokerage Account, a sub-account called FundABC,
which trades in commodity "FundABC"

Assets (Comm: $CAD)
Assets:Chequing (Comm: $CAD)
Assets:Brokerage (Comm: $CAD)
Assets:Brokerage:FundABC (Comm:FundABC)

This account has a selector that allows me to change the "fraction
traded" including an option to "Use commodity value".  That's what it's
set to.

To add to the complexity, I have another account that holds the same
fund that trades in the same commodity, but may have been set up
originally with a different value in the (account) "fraction traded":

Assets:BrokerageRSP (Comm: $CAD)
Assets:BrokerageRSP:FundABC (Comm:FundABC)

I'm not exactly sure of the relationship here, including the fraction
traded, but I suspect it may be a bad thing (tm) if the fraction traded
is different in one account from another, when the commodity is the same.

Can I change the "fraction traded" of an account?  I know that I can
change it, but I'm wondering if this might be the source of some
inconsistencies in my data.  I have changed it, but I think some
transactions don't reflect the change.  The values in the xml file
appear to all be fractions, for which the denominator is the fraction
traded (I think) but, changing the fraction traded of an account seems
to take place instantly, with no delay to make the appropriate changes
in the data.  Let me re-phrase:  The act of changing the fraction traded
appears to be a simple account setting, not an "adjustment to the
transactional data".  Since it will likely be asked, the reason for the
change to the fraction traded is really to make it match the commodity.
The accounts & commodities were all imported, and it appears that it
wasn't done perfectly.

 From that... can someone explain the reasoning behind the "commodity
fraction traded" vs "account fraction traded", ie, why would I ever want
to have an account that trades in numbers that aren't exactly that of
the commodity?

Thanks to anyone who takes the time...