gnucash and Mac OS X 10.4

David Reiser dbreiser at earthlink.net
Sat May 21 21:11:30 EDT 2005

On May 19, 2005, at 5:29 PM, Francisco Azinsan wrote:

> [snip
> I've not had as much luck.
>
> So far I've:
> - blown away /sw
> - reinstalled fink
> - enabled the use of unstable sources
> - run fink selfupdate
> - installed gnucash
> - rebuilt gnome*, gtk+* and guile*
> - rebuilt gnucash
>
> Nothing's changed from what I'm observing. I start gnucash and the
> guile-1.6
> process starts taking up all CPU time and just stays that way. It
> never starts.
>
> I could really use other suggestions on getting it working. My
> personal finances
> stuff are getting behind :P
>
>  -Frysco

Whenever I've had problems with dependencies in building gnucash, I
start out with trying to reinstall just the package that has trouble,
and then try to install gnucash again. While doing the whole list of
dependencies may be smoother, I find it too tedious.

Sometimes it works better to remove or purge the package in question
prior to having fink reinstall it. And if your fink thinks you've
successfully built the package already, you have to be sure the .deb
file goes away before you reinstall, or you will just get the same
version back again.

I think 'fink purge -r guile16' followed by 'fink install guile16'
and then 'fink install gnucash' might work for you. I suggest using
separate fink commands for the install only because I'm not sure how
much optimization fink does and whether it will matter in your case.
I guess you could call it my superstition about fink. The -r is for
recursive, and should purge anything that was built against your
suspect version of guile 16.

With Tiger, after I had the bad 'successful' install of gnucash, I
manually blew away the gnucash .deb file, reinstalled the right gnome-
lib files, and then installed gnucash. That worked for me.

Dave