Writing checks

David Reiser dbreiser at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 19 22:12:21 EDT 2005

On Oct 18, 2005, at 9:08 PM, Doug Laidlaw wrote:

> That is fine when you use the American stationery based on U.S.
> Letter.  We
> use A4.  I can create a new custom format, but I can't save it for
> future
> use.  It looks as though Derek can't, either.  I don't print enough
> cheques
> to be worried about printing a range, but my handwriting isn't
> reliable.
>
> Doug.

As long as you don't need one of the already established formats, you
could edit print-check.scm to fit your checks. All the coordinates
are listed as points (1/72 of an inch) from the upper left of the
page. It doesn't matter what format the paper is letter, A4, B,
whatever.

I'll agree it isn't as nice as adding a new format, but it does work.
One thing I haven't figured out (even from adding a new format to the
list) is how to control the font and font size the checks are printed
in. What it prints is what you get. The other thing I wasn't willing
to attempt is adding an additional data element to checks. The
already-included ones are: payee, amount-words, amount-number, date,
and memo.

If you don't want to mess with the editing yourself, but you don't
mind having a custom copy of print-check.scm. I would be willing to
work on it. But we'd have to converse about an efficient way for me
to get exact layout info. I have a somewhat convoluted method to do
it by email.

Dave