Price editor frustrations

David Hampton hampton-gnucash at rainbolthampton.net
Wed Sep 21 10:10:01 EDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-09-21 at 00:04 -0400, Bradford R. Bowman wrote:

> As a result of the second purchase, I should now own 110.0577 shares in
> the fund, for a total current value of $8730.05.

I plugged your numbers into my test account and come up with $8730.16
for the amount in the fund.  I can't account for the $0.09 difference
from your statement.  I assume that your statement has rounded somewhere
since I get the same result on a calculator.

> Now here is the problem:
>
> The "Total(Report)" column in the main accounts window shows a value of
> $0 for this fund.

I see the $8730.16 value.

>   However, if I run an account summary report, it will
> display a value for the fund, though an incorrect one ($8770.32), but
> only when using the "weighted source" setting for price source in the
> report options.

I see this $8770.32 value as well.  Interestingly, that's the total
purchase cost of your shares.  I haven't dug into the scheme code to see
how gnucash computes the "weighted average" value.

> If I use the "most recent" or "nearest in time"
> settings, the value of the fund will be reported as $0.00.

I do not see this problem.  I see a value of $8730.16 in both cases.

> So what am I doing wrong here?

Any chance you have a zero price for this commodity in the price
database?  That's the only way I can get gnucash to produce results
similar to yours.

David