Compilation problem (solved) on 1.8.12 for Ubuntu/Debian systems

Jordan Erickson jerickson at logicalnetworking.net
Mon Feb 20 18:23:15 EST 2006

Hello all,

I just wanted to record a problem (and solution) for compiling 1.8.12
under Ubuntu 5.10 (Breezy) - Simmilar versions and Debian should be
simmilar. I saw a few simmilar unanswered  posts a from while ago in
this list when researching my problem.

Anyway - ./configure yilded to me:

---
checking for gtkhtml >= 1.1... yes
checking for gtk_html_new in -lgtkhtml-1.1... no
configure: error: Cannot link gtkhtml-1.1. See the README and config.log
for more info.
---

ALL gtkhtml-dev packages were already installed. After a few hours of
scratching my head and apt-getting anything related to gtkhtml I dug
into config.log and then saw that ld was querying gtkhtml through gconf
(sorry if that sounds off, i'm not a programmer). So I installed
libgconf-dev (which in turn installed liboaf-dev), and ./configure
passed the check.

Hope this helps some other people that might have the same problem, as
it's not incredibly obvious which dev packages are necessary to compile
sucessfully.

- Jordan