Compiling 1.8.12 on debian

Derrick Hudson dman at dman13.dyndns.org
Mon Jan 9 22:37:57 EST 2006

On Mon, Jan 09, 2006 at 12:31:28AM +0100, Martin Wolters wrote:
[...]
| ( BTW: How do I figure out which configure options the official debian package
| used? Sorry, I am a Debian-Newbie )

Here is what I would do in your place:

    1) be sure you have the necessary build tools installed:
        # aptitude install build-essential fakeroot

    2) be sure you have all of the build dependencies installed
        # apt-get build-dep gnucash

    3) make sure you have the proper deb-src lines in
    /etc/apt/sources.list, for example
deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free

    4) obtain the source for gnucash
        # apt-get source gnucash

By obtaining the source with apt you will have the source that was
used to build the debian package.  Sometimes the debian maintainers
modify it for a variety of reasons.

In the source directory you will find a directory named 'debian'.
This directory contains all of the debian-specific additions used in
building the debian package.  Start with the file 'rules'.  The
'rules' file is usually a make file, and it defines how the package is
built.  There you can find the configure invocation used in creating
the package.

What I would do to customize it is to edit the rules file to change
the configure options to suit.  Also add a new entry at the top of the
debian/changelog file.  Then run 'fakeroot ./debian/rules binary' to
build your custom version of the package.

HTH,
-D

--
The Consultant's Curse:
    When the customer has beaten upon you long enough, give him

www: http://dman13.dyndns.org/~dman/            jabber: dman at dman13.dyndns.org