End of year question

John R. Sowden jsowden at americansentry.net
Thu Jan 12 12:54:57 EST 2006

Not being an account, merely a lowly businessperson, I don't understand why it
is not possible to:

Complete all end of reporting period (quarter, year, etc.) entries
Run a Trial Balance Report
Set up an Asset or Liability (either) account to hold the transactions
indicated below, for future audit purposes
Post reversing entries from all of the income and expense accounts
to this holding account, then post the difference to the corporate equity
account (the one that is added to the retained earnings), or in the case of a
sole proprietorship, post it to a equity revenue account (the one that will
offset "owner's draw").

After all, aren't accounting programs just database applications with
specialized data entry and reports?  I have created a few over the years,
starting with dBASE II and that's all they were.

--
John R. Sowden
AMERICAN SENTRY SYSTEMS, INC.
mail at americansentry.net