Compile failure

David Brock david at tubits.com
Tue Mar 21 00:14:57 EST 2006

Ugh-

I just upgraded a few ports- gnucash was one of them, which in turn I
beleive, upgraded slib-3a1_2 to slib-3a3.  I'm now having this same
problem as earlier in this thread- on gnucash start, I get:

ERROR: Unbound variable: with-load-pathname

I see the same thing on executing this snippet of guile code:

/usr/local/bin/guile -c  "(use-modules (ice-9 slib)) (require
'new-catalog)"

But, I'm running slib-3a3, not slib-3a2, where the problem is supposed
to be, according to the note in the archives.

I read Thomas Bushnell's posted patch, and followed the recommendations
that he made to change the function "slib:load"
in /usr/local/share/slib/guile.init but the error persisted.  Also, I
checked for that same function
in /usr/local/share/guile/1.6/ice-9/slib.scm, and it was identical to
the code in Thomas' post. Curiously, in this file, there is a "FIXME
note" referring to a fix that Aubrey will have to make in catalog:get of
slib/require.scm.  Is it possible that I still have an outdated one
somehow?

I beleive that guile is the scheme interpreter, and, as it's an
interpreter, and all I'm changing is an init file, it doesn't need to be
rebuilt after this change.  Please, correct me, if that's wrong.

I also saw this note in Thomas' message: "Have guile load the slib
guile.init file instead of its own badly hacked version." but I don't
understand if that's a step that I have to explicitly take or if it's
completed by simply making the change that he describes.

I use the ports tree for almost all installations- so much so that I'm
having trouble installing from svn, but that's another issue (and why
I'm not testing gnucash-1.9)

Of course, the slib-guile is version 3a1- could that be the culprit?

versions:

guile-1.6.7
guile-gtk-0.41_1
slib-guile-3a1
slib-3a3
gnucash-1.8.12_1

Any recommended any further steps to track this down?

;-David

--
"I've actually been trying to think less about wealth,
and instead focus on the things I can buy with it."