New user struggling.

hendrik at topoi.pooq.com hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Thu Nov 16 20:46:19 EST 2006

On Thu, Nov 16, 2006 at 04:45:39PM -0000, Bill wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I use MS Money in XP and am looking for an alternative when, if, I migrate to a Linux OS.  At present, I am trying Ubuntu 6.0.  GNUCash is packed with this installation, but not the latest version.  I have downloaded the files for v2.0.2 and although I can unpack them, I cannot install the application.  Help somewhere on your site says that instructions for installing are available, but I have only found a guide to downloading.  If this help exists, where is it, please?

If you really are new to Linux, I would advise you to just use the
gnucash package that Ubuntu provides.  In my experience (a few years
ago), it was extremely difficult to compile gnucash from source, because
it seemed to be critically dependent on particular versions of other
packages.  I find it one of the more aggressive open-source packages in
terms of using the latest tools.

Ubuntu will be updating the package from time to time, and if you just
do routine upgrades you will eventually get more recent versions of
gnucash.

I'm still running gnucash 1.8.x, and I find it works just fine.

-- hendrik