Selling stock & advanced portfolio bug

Andrew Sackville-West ajswest at mindspring.com
Sun Oct 22 14:27:10 EDT 2006

On Fri, Oct 20, 2006 at 09:58:20PM +0200, Christian Pfaffel-Janser wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am using version 2.0.1 and I stumbled over the following problem. So
> far, whenever I owned stocks and I sold them I did the accounting
> according to the gnucash manual. But this time I only sold half of the
> stocks I have owned. I put a screenshot of it under
>
> http://itp.tugraz.at/~flash/download/without_unrealized.png
>
> But this resulted in a wrong balance Activa != Passiva + Equity. So
> I figured maybe this is due to the fact that I did not account for the
> unrealized gain on the rest of the stocks I own, so I added an entry
> for unrealized gain.
>
> http://itp.tugraz.at/~flash/download/with_unrealized.png
>
> shows it. The lines for the split transaction translate to
>
>       Erloes -> Net Sale
>       Spesen -> Commision
>       Kursgewinn -> Profit
>       Verkauf -> Gross Sale
>       Gewinn -> Capital Gain
>       Kursgewinn -> Unrealized Gain
>
> This makes the balance sheet show correctly activa == passiva +
> equity. I can live with that, although It would be nice to know if I
> have to do it that way, since I am not an accounting expert. But the
> thing which is not so fine is the advanced portfolio report.
>
> http://itp.tugraz.at/~flash/download/portfolio.png

Hi, I did some hacking on the advanced portfolio report a while
back...

Without really working through what you've done here, due to time
constraints, I totally believe that the problem is with the advanced
portfolio report. I fixed a number of problems it had, and added some
new features, but definitely introduced other bugs as a result. I
don't have time to contribute at this point, but would be happy to
answer questions about what I did, and maybe help work out what its
supposed to do.