New user - Inventory tracking functionality?

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Fri Aug 17 16:56:24 EDT 2007

At Fri, 17 Aug 2007 08:34:03 -0400 Derek Atkins <warlord at MIT.EDU> wrote:

> Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com> writes:
>
> > Why should I bother with vmware-server (what does it buy me)?  I could
> > just as easily install FC7 (or CentOS 5) as a second O/S (I would need
> > to scrounge disk space for its root and /usr file systems).  Actually,
> > I could probably (re-)partition my 'build box', which has a large
> > mostly empty drive on it.
>
> As has already been pointed out (but I might as well say it too) -- so
> you can do this development without rebooting your machine.  I
> suggested "vmware-server" because it's free.  I suppose you could
> choose to use Xen or something else if you prefer.  But when I
> (personally) need to do development on various OSes I much prefer a
> Virtualization solution instead of a multi-boot solution.

I find it works better (for me) to just have another (cheap) box.
Mostly because virtually all of my machines are 'impoverished' but
current 'standards' -- I have two (older) AMD K6 machines (a K6-500
w/256meg of RAM and a K6-400 with a little more RAM (256+64)).  I tend
to look for machines about to land in dumpsters and/or keep them
forever (long past their 'obsolensent' date).  Virtualization on slower
/ memory-poor machines generally does not work so well.

--
Robert Heller             -- Get the Deepwoods Software FireFox Toolbar!
Deepwoods Software        -- Linux Installation and Administration