how to search and replace transfer account

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Aug 21 13:29:24 EDT 2007

womble <wandering.womble at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all-
>
> I've recently imported a large qfx file, which resulted in many
> transactions being transfers to an 'imbalance' account.

Ahh, this means you didn't go through the process of assigning
accounts during the import process.  You should have done that,
because it will save you lots of time later.

> Is there anyway to search and replace the transfer account?

There is no way to edit multiple transactions at once.  So what
you need to do is open a register will all the transactions and
then go, one by one, and change them.  Unfortunately you can't
do this from the Imbalance account because you can't change the
account of the split tying the transaction to the "current account"
of the register.  So for each transaction you need to "jump" to
the other side to change it.

> e.g. search all transactions with a description containing 'starbucks'
> and make the transfer account 'Expenses:Dining:Coffee' (instead of
> 'Imbalance'.)

Well, you could do that, too.  Search all transaction with an account
of Imbalance..

> I'm hoping this is possible (even if I have to write/hack a python
> script...) as I have several thousand transactions to go through.

Nope, no python script.  You could try to write a scheme script.