Sale doesn't show up in Income:Sales

Keith A. Milner kamilner at superlative.org
Sun Dec 9 07:06:07 EST 2007

On Sunday 09 December 2007 08:39:02 Derek Atkins wrote:

> The business code doesn't handle multiple currencies.  The Customer
> Currency (when you select the customer for the invoice) must match
> the currency of the A/R and Income accounts.  In your case it sounds
> like the three currencies do NOT match, which would result in the
> error you see.
>
> Please read the archives for more information, as I've answered
> the question quite recently.

Yes, it was me that asked.

I played with this quite a bit and never got it working to my satisfaction or
comfort.

The big problem for me is that I have to deal with not only sales but also
expenses and expenses recharging, and VAT (input and output). I came to the
conclusion that to make this work I would have to set up parallel currency
accounts for A/R and A/P, income accounts, VAT, and for all of my (many)
expense accounts. Not only was this painful to set up, but also prone to
error when I'm inputting data (and I book expenses to "Fred Bloggs Hotel
Expenses (EUR)" instead of "Fred Bloggs Hotel Expenses (GBP)". Believe me
with a large account tree it's easy to do.

The way I end up handling this is to book everything against one currency
(GBP) and to do the conversion offline. This works for me at the moment
because all my sales are GBP. If I get sales in another currency I may have
to rethink.

It also helps that I use an offline spreadsheet for recording and claiming
expenses. This was set up for a number of reasons:

1. It provides a paper trail between the employee and the company which is
separate from the internal company accounting. This may be required for tax
purposes.

2. It means my employees don't need to log into Gnucash and therefore can't
snoop around the company accounts or break anything

3. It provides a reporting mechanism for me to get recharged expenses approved
against different projects (jobs) by my customer.

This spreadsheet is currently only set up for GBP, but (as it's a spreadsheet)
it's relatively easy for me to apply a conversion at the time I enter the
transaction. I may alter the spreadsheet at some point so it gives me some
basic built-in exchange rate support.

In summary, because of the lack of support for multi-currency business
operations, I stick to using Gnucash with a single currency and do all the
exchange calculations offline.

Cheers,

--
Keith A. Milner