Force reconciliation on a per transaction basis?

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Sun Feb 11 17:33:31 EST 2007

On Sunday 11 Feb 2007, Brian Talley wrote:
> There have been times in the past that I wanted to do this - the
> details I can't recall anymore.  But, let's take my current scenario:
>
> I switch to GnuCash in October, 2006.  At the time of switch, I go
> back to say August, 2006 and start entering transactions.  As I work
> through these statements, all the accounts I think I need get created
> and everything balances/reconciles, etc.  Then, let's say, in February
> 2007, I realized the way I've been tracking my auto loan hasn't been
> sufficient and I want to modify it.  At the same time, I feel like I
> have a good grip on what I'm doing and I want to go back through
> December, 2005 (the origination date) and enter all the data about my
> loan.  It's only one payment per month, so it's not that big of a deal
> to go back and enter the information.  But, as you see where I'm
> going, the payments I entered that occurred between December 2005 and
> August 2006 aren't reconciled.  In this case, TO ME, it seems logical
> to just force the transactions as reconciled.
>
> Thanks,

Hi Brian,

Not sure if this is of any help, but bear with me.... oh, and IANAA, YMMV
£0.02 etc.

I assume that you are making loan repayments out of your checking account.

I also assume that on 1st August 2006, you have an "opening balance"
transaction, which as far as GC is concerned, gives you some wealth at "the
start of time"  That Opening balance transaction must have been reconciled by
you, at some point in the past. (or else, nothing will reconcile correctly
now)

By adding transactions "before the start of time", then you need to adjust
your opening balance transaction date to eg. 1st Dec. 2005, and alter opening
total in such a way that it gives you sufficient "new" money in order to make
your loan repayments Dec 05 thru Jul 06. (EG $100 per month, Dec-Jul = $800
added to opening balance)

As long as the balance on Aug 1st 2006 remains the same, you won't hit any
problems.

Then go into the reconcile dialogue, and re-reconcile your last paper
statement again - you will find the newly added historic transactions ready
for reconciling at the top of the list... (IIRC)

HTH,
Maf